Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Challenge ~ Are YOU Game?

I'm not sure why, really.

I don't know where this idea came from.

But I am in the middle of my own 30 day challenge.  In addition to the NaBloPoMo thing that I didn't really need to commit to since I already write every day and the 30 Day Photography Challenge.  Apparently, I need more things to commit to. 

It's no great mystery that I define myself as a mother more than anything else.  I write, but at least as of yet, it's not what I would consider a "job".  I hope it will be one day, and I'm working on it.  For now, at least, there aren't meetings and appointments and other job-related things about it.  Someday I hope.

I can write (and parent) from the comfort of my home, I can wear my pajamas longer than functional adults should.  And I take advantage of that too often.

I don't dress up hardly ever anymore.  I used to, even when I wasn't working.  I used to have cute outfits and do my hair.  It's so rare now that the kids ask me where I'm going if I'm wearing anything fancier than capris and flip flops. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that, honestly.  Comfort is a good thing.

While I do wear makeup every day to conceal my atrocious skin, I don't generally wear more than tinted moisturizer and maybe some eyeshadow. 

At the beginning of this photo challenge, I had to take a self portrait.  Nothing like that to make a person self conscious, right?

So I put on makeup.  The real stuff.  And I even busted out my eyeliner and mascara.  Glamour Shots time.

You know what happened?

My husband came home from work and paid me a compliment.  Like, a real one.  My daughters said that when they grow up they want to have pretty eyes like me.  Aidan wanted to know where my eyelashes came from (honey, it's just an eyelash curler and mascara....not the reinvention of the wheel).

And I felt beautiful.  Just a few minutes of effort was all it took.

I wondered aloud why I don't do it more often.  Make a conscious effort to fancy myself up, pick a flattering outfit, all that.  I knew I was only doing it for the picture, but that seemed silly.

So, every day since then, I've put on eyeliner.  I may have still lounged around in my jammies for longer than I should.  I may not have dressed up.  I may not have worn shoes more exciting than flip flops.  But I've put in a few minutes of effort, and even if no one else noticed, I did.

As silly as it may sound, I'm doing this for me. 

What small thing can you do every day for yourself?  Are you willing to take on that challenge?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I'm so like you. I live in jeans and t-shirts. Even in 100-degree plus weather with ridiculous humidity. I don't think I've owned a pair of shorts since I was 15. My hair is always in a ponytail, and I rarely wear makeup... When I do, my husband always looks confused, as if he's expecting me to tell him about some formal event he forgot about.

    Every once in a while, I tell myself that I will start straightening my hair, wearing makeup, and dressing nicer. But after a few days, I inevitably fall back into my old routine. Maybe I'll try to mix things up a little more, like you. Who knows, maybe that will make people believe I'm my kids' mother, and not their babysitter!

    Good for you for doing something nice for yourself. Sometimes, little things can have a big impact on how we feel; enjoy it! And for the record, you are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts