Friday, May 27, 2011

The Edge of Glory

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the response I've received to my writing in the last few months. 

And yeah, I'm borrowing another title from Lady Gaga. 

This whole blogging thing was a bet I had with a friend.  She'd get on Facebook if I'd start writing something.  It wasn't ever intended to become what it has.  Yet, here I am now, just shy of two and a half years into it, actually contemplating writing a book.

I've had pieces picked up and published by a few other websites.  Some that I made submissions to, others completely unsolicited. 

I was featured on BlogHer Food a few weeks back, made the main page feature this week.  I just received notification of another published piece coming from Mamapedia. 

It's been amazing.

Though I really do write for myself almost all of the time, I have to admit that the validation is nice.  The confirmation that what I do here is worth other people's time and energy. 

Now that school is out for the summer, I am committed to taking this next step.  I've begun working on the book already.  It's the fine tuning and putting it all together to be perfect that will take me the longest, I know.

It seems weird for me to say it, but I just really believe that this is going to work.  That this book is going to get picked up by a publisher.  That this is the path it seems I am supposed to be walking.  That this is what I am meant to do.

It feels right.

And at the same time, it feels so strange.

I was never supposed to be a writer, but I am. 

I love what I am doing right now.

I love being a writer.

I've learned quickly that my best writing comes effortlessly.  The days it seems impossible to put the words together are my challenge to overcome.  I promised myself when I started this that I would write something every day, and for the most part I have.  I make mental notes about the things that I see.  I wake up in the middle of the night with ideas.  I write and write and write some days.

At some point on this journey, I went from simply being a person who writes to a writer.

I thank my father for helping nudge me over that edge.

Now it's to be seen whether I can stomach the failure I am destined for.  If I can take the rejections that will be thrown in my face.  I've never been terribly good at failure, in fact I've in large part avoided it throughout my life.  I am going into this next phase of the journey expecting it though.  Anticipating it. 

Knowing that I will hear no over and over before yes.

I'm willing to fail a thousand times if that's what it takes.

I will sell this book.

Don't worry, you can all say you knew me before I was famous.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts