Monday, May 9, 2011

The Day After Mother's Day

Mondays are normally a little chaotic around here.  I can always plan on a lot of cleaning on Monday morning. 

Yesterday, though, was not a typical Sunday. 

It was Mother's Day. 

A day off.

Rest, relaxation, pampering, right?  Right????

Not so much.

I spent a while out back removing the landscaping material from underneath the sand in the play area.   The edges are fraying and coming up, the kids are tripping over them.  Just an FYI to all the husbands out there....when your wife asks you nicely to take the ripped landscape fabric out or replace it before you put 6 tons of sand on it....listen.

Anyway, after ripping out the fabric, I did get to sit on my porch and relax a little.  I didn't cook.  My one handed husband made breakfast, my son made dinner.  Which was nice. 

It's more the issue of what they didn't do that's bugging me.

Mother's Day is supposed to be a day for me to sit back and rest, right?  That's how they advertise it anyway.  And I didn't cook.  I didn't clean except for that one load of laundry. 

Trouble is....no one else did either.

This morning, I woke up to a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off in it.  Sand on the table.  Sand under the table.  Okay, really...sand just everywhere.   Napkins and cups, even a plate on the floor.  Trash heaped over the can since no one took it our yesterday.  Shredded cheese all over the counters and the floor.  Recycling items stacked intentionally so as to not fall over.  Piles of dirty dishes on the counter. 

Someone opened the bag of goldfish in the pantry and they spilled all over everything else in there.  AJ removed the foil seals from half the cartons of soymilk, which I just noticed this morning.  Since I don't know when he did it, I had to toss it all.  So much for saving money by buying a case.

The dishwasher had been run, but not emptied.  When I went to empty it after lunch, I had to re-run the dishwasher because the tablet thing won't dissolve if it's put in the compartment it's supposed to go in.   Never has in the almost 6 years we have lived here.  I know this because I do the dishes almost all the time.  My husband refuses to believe it, which is fine when you aren't the one doing the dishes.

That was just the kitchen.

I should have taken pictures.

Sigh.

Mother's Day was nice. 

But I could do without the day after.

In Tom's defense, he does have a broken arm.  I should get a do-over, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts