Thursday, May 5, 2011

30 Days of Music - Day 19

Day 19 - What is a song from your favorite album?

There are so many albums that I love, all for different reasons.  Some because they speak to my soul, some because of the amazing music they are filled with.  Others simply for the reason that they help define periods of my life and explain in part who I was then.

This is one of those. 

At some point, I abandoned NKOTB and pop music almost entirely for a while.   I was drawn to the guitar solos and power ballads and guyliner.  Hair bands.  My first favorite of them wasn't really so much a hair band, they were a British import with a harder rock and roll edge.  Def Leppard.  I loved Metallica too, and they were fairly resistant to the Aqua Net (as much as any band was back then). 

As the genre blossomed, and the hair got bigger, our generation's insatiable need for this music led to some groups that were just comical looking back. 

But, oh back then.  One of my all time favorite songs will always be Every Rose Has Its Thorn, by Poison.  I knew this guy who played his guitar and sang that song to me once....which is pretty awesome when you are a boy crazy 14 year old girl who's walls were plastered with these posters.

If I had to pick one album though, out of all of them from that time frame that is my favorite, it's this one. Dr. Feelgood, Motley Crue.  I love it because it's fast and it's loud, the lyrics are dirty and scandalous.  Everything rock should be.  Plus, their hair peaked around then.  And Vince is the only guy who will ever be good enough to front a band with Nikki, Mick and Tommy.  Just sayin.

Kickstart My Heart, Motley Crue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts