Friday, April 15, 2011

Through My Lens

I did something I haven't done in a long time today, something I've been meaning to do for a while now. 

I took out my camera and played.

Man it felt good.

Every so often I have these visions of photography projects that I want to tackle.  Things I fully intend to one day get around to doing.  This project today is a gift for someone I love very much, even if I tease him incessantly.

My brother in law. 

He's a firefighter.  Down, ladies.  Seriously.  What is it about a guy in a uniform?  I don't know, but there is something inherently appealing in a man that could carry my ass out of a burning building. 

He's cute too, but he already knows that. 

Anyway, back to the story.  The one that I can safely write here because I know for a fact that he never ever reads anything I write, so I'm not ruining the surprise.

He is a firefighter, and a huge fan of black and white photography.  So, a while back, I got this idea in my head that I would take pictures of the elements of his job in an artsy way, then give them to him.  Initially the plan was to choose one image and turn it into a professional gallery wrapped canvas, but I figured I'd go with prints first to see if he liked the idea.

I don't know why I suddenly decided that today was the day I was finally going to do it, but I did.  Even in the wind....which my asthma is now punishing me for.

Here are the end results.  I hope you enjoy them, and I hope he loves them.

As for me, I just loved standing behind the camera again. 

Hydrant all alone in a field

Bay doors of a station

Fire escape of a downtown building

The original fire station here in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts