Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Royal Wedding - A little girl's dream come true

I'm watching the wedding tomorrow. 

Correction.

I am taping the wedding coverage and watching it later, at a time when normal people are awake in this part of the world.

I wish that I had a real and legitimate reason for caring about the marriage of two upper crust people from the other side of the pond.  I don't.

I've no real reason to be invested in it.  In my family heritage, there is a teeny tiny bit of it that hails from England, but the vast majority of my blood is very much not from there.

I'm not much a fan of monarchies, yet I was wholly transfixed by the coverage of Diana's death.

There are many more important things happening in the world far more deserving of my attention, this is true.

And yet, I'm excited.

Makes no sense, I know.

In some ways it does though, or at least it will for the people who've known me forever.  Though I'm not overly girly, I very much so have a princess complex.

Don't we all, though?  Just a little?  Shhh....admit it.

I mean, really.  Look at the stories we were raised on.  The movies we loved.  The women in those tales seemed always in need of saving by some handsome rich prince who rode up on his white horse, then they lived happily ever after.

And as cliche as it is, we all at one point or another wanted that.  Dreamt of it, even.

Then reality came along and smacked you in the face and told you that princes only ride horses when they play polo and that being born an average girl wasn't helping your chances of landing a rich nobleman, especially when you weren't even on the right side of the ocean.

My fairytale didn't exactly play out the way it was supposed to.  There were some revisions in the story I wasn't aware would be coming. 

I did have a horse drawn carriage the day I was a bride, though.

And no, I'm totally not kidding.

I, the very non-girly girl that I am, had a horse drawn carriage.  And a parasol.  Nope, not kidding.

When I was a little girl, I had such an intense princess complex that I insisted on being a princess every year on Halloween.  Until the year I promoted myself to Queen.

And though there aren't many of us swept away to castles in real life, sometimes it actually happens.

Sometimes a little girl's fairytale dreams come true. 

Tomorrow one will.

And this simple girl who once upon a time dreamt of a fairytale ending will be watching from this side of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts