Friday, April 1, 2011

Humbled

While I was gone in California, making submissions wasn't the highest thing on my priority list.  I kept writing almost every day out of habit, out of routine, out of my need to get the thoughts out of my head somehow. 

But I certainly wasn't worried about submitting anything anywhere. 

I had far more important things going on.

So, when I got home and things started the slow return to normal, I submitted a few articles. 

The one that got picked up?  This one.

Fear

I wrote it the day after I got home, though it's one I'd been thinking about a while. 

It's every bit as true today as it was then.  In some ways even more so for reasons that I can't ever write here.

The response from the publicity has been overwhelming. 

The stories that others have shared, heartbreaking.

Coupled with the loss of a family pet yesterday, it's just all been too much.

I've spent the better part of the day crying. 

I took the kids out for a little nature hike today, I needed to get away from it all.  I needed to turn the computer and my phone off and walk away.  I needed a break.

Then out there in the world, a sign from above.

Just as I pulled up to an intersection, a silver Camaro like the one my Daddy drove when I was a little girl went through.  In the crosswalk, a dog that could have been a clone of the one we lost yesterday. 

I was never really one to believe in signs before the last year or so, but that was one if I ever saw it. 

Buddy is with Dad now, and they both wanted to make sure I knew that.  Wanted to make sure I was okay.

And I am. 

Today has been a long and emotional one. 

But I am humbled.

I am grateful.

I am blessed.

Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts