Saturday, April 30, 2011

30 Days of Music - Day 14

Day 14 - What is a song that no one would expect you to like?

I like almost any kind of music.  From gangster rap to alternative, pop to the hair bands of the 90's.  If I had to pick one genre of music to be my least favorite, it would probably have to be country.

I don't love country music.  I don't mind some of it, this is true.  The stuff that falls into the crossover category is mostly okay.  But the vast majority of it I could take or leave.

At some point over the last few years, my parents started listening to it.  Until Dad stopped one day.  He was tired of hearing songs about losing a parent,  living like you are dying and last breaths.  He didn't want to hear the sad songs anymore. 

And it seems like a lot of country is that way. 

In fact, the day after he died, I was sitting in his chair watching the Grammy's when Miranda Lambert sang her song, The House that Built Me.  It was the first time I'd ever heard it, which tells you how little I listen to country music.  And it just about broke my heart, reaffirming the fact that country music is hard to listen to because it's so real and heartfelt.

I want music to make me feel better, to up my spirits, lighten my mood....not remind me of the sad things in life all the time.

Plus, unless I am in a cowboy bar doing the electric slide, I don't need "yee-haw" to be in any of the songs, thank you very much.

As much as I don't love country in general, I love this guy.  I'd go see him in concert in a heartbeat. 

The Dance, Garth Brooks

The Video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts