Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Slightly Antagonistic Tertiary Friend

We don't watch that many TV shows, and when we do finally get around to watching them, it is usually weeks after they actually aired. 

Welcome to life with children.

What did we do before we had a DVR? 

Anyway, we were watching an episode of one of my favorite shows, The Big Bang Theory, and Sheldon referred to himself as Howard's slightly antagonistic tertiary friend

Which is just freaking hilarious.  I appreciate intelligent comedic writing, especially of the dork variety.

It made me think though.  I basically am the slightly antagonistic (though not always tertiary) friend.

And then I asked for topic ideas on my Facebook page and one of my closest friends asked me to write about the importance of friendship.  Specifically, the role that I play in her life. 

I am the person who talks her off the ledge when she wants to let her crazy out. 

I do that for a lot of people, though. 

I guess it's because I'm not the kind of person to sugarcoat things.  If you're being ridiculous, chances are that I'm going to tell you.   If you need a kick in the ass, I'll give it to you. 

Gladly.

But only because I love you. 

We all need people in our lives that know us well enough that they can tell us to knock it off.  Who know when we are lying.  To tell us we are crazy, or that we aren't.  To tell us that we deserve better or that we should be more grateful.  To tell us to think about our choices more.  To share in our joy, to understand our pain. 

To get it.  Really get it.

We all need real friends.  Not just the ones that you know....the ones that know you

We all especially need slightly antagonistic ones.

If they are dorky, that's just a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts