Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Neti Pot - I'll trade sexy for breathing

I've had allergies my whole life.  When I was younger, I just lived in a fog for half the year.  My head hurt, my eyes itched, I'd sneeze uncontrollably. 

Back then, you could buy stronger over the counter decongestants than you can now, but they would only work for a little while.  After a few days, it would feel like all the water had been leeched out of my system. 

Then I'd start getting bloody noses. 

Good times.

Thankfully, they have developed better, longer acting antihistamines.  I can't stand to take most of the decongestants at all these days, so I have to just suffer through it.

It was the worst when I was pregnant.  Tom laughed at me then, using those nose strips every night in my attempt to breathe.

A few years ago, I heard about the Neti pot from another chronic allergy sufferer, and I was intrigued.  I didn't really understand how it worked or why.  And I was thoroughly grossed out by the whole concept.

You pour this UP your nose?  Ick.

I grabbed one off a store shelf when I was in California the last time out of desperation.  My sinuses don't like the wind there, even on my daily meds, and I was getting tired of it.  Still grossed out, I put it back on the shelf.

Then last week, there was a giveaway on Facebook by one of the companies that makes them.  I figured what the hell?  I'll try just about anything if it's free.

My Neti Pot got here three days ago.

Let me tell you....it's funky.  It really does take a bit to get over the feeling that you are voluntarily drowning.  You have to force yourself to breathe out of your mouth and make a conscious effort not to try and swallow.  You have to lean completely over a sink, mouth gaping, water pouring out one nostril.

The first night I did it, Tom walked in the bathroom mid pour.  Then he laughed pretty hard at me.

It's not sexy, that's for sure.

It works though.  I've been able to sleep soundly the last few nights for the first time that I can remember. 

I can handle gross and unsexy for a few minutes if it buys me a nighttime of sleep.

I just wish I'd been willing to try it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts