Friday, March 11, 2011

Fantasy, Revised

A while back we watched the movie Date Night.   

It's one of those movies that is funny on it's own merits to some degree, but made significantly more funny by it's reflection of reality.  At some point, every married couple becomes an old married couple.  Life gets boring, marriages get strained, people are just tired of the same thing over and over and over again.

It's life, presented in a comedic format.  Much funnier and far less uncomfortable that way than how it was presented in Revolutionary Road

Man, that movie was disturbing.   Mostly because it's not too far off.

I prefer to take my observations about reality from a funny viewpoint, thank you very much.

I was thinking about Date Night  yesterday, as I updated my status on Facebook.   I wrote something about how I wanted to sit by a pool and have cabana boys bring me drinks.  Which sounds pretty freaking awesome.

But I don't want anyone I am responsible for sitting next to me at that pool. 

That's the main thing.

Makes me think about Tina Fey's character in the movie.  She loves her husband.  They even still like each other.  She tells him how much things have changed.  How her fantasies now are nothing like what they used to be.  About how now she just wants to " be alone in a quiet room, where I can eat my lunch with no one touching me. And drink a diet Sprite.”

Sounds pretty damn appealing, I have to tell you.  I'd add some vodka to the Sprite though, but that's just me.

I don't get to do anything alone.  At all.  I can't even go to the bathroom without someone immediately needing something.  I haven't just read a book in years.  If I go anywhere near a body of water, I am on maternal high alert. 

I want to be able to just relax. 

Funny how much our romanticized ideals change over the years.  There was a time, not that long ago, where the thing I longed for was trips to exotic locations with the man I love. 

Now I'd give anything for a diet Sprite and a hotel room to myself.

Don't misunderstand me. 

My marriage is fine.  I love my husband.  And someday I will dream about exotic vacations with him again, but I know that isn't even a remote possibility for a very long time.

My kids aren't driving me any more crazy than they normally do, and I still adore them completely. 

But I am tired, and I want a break. 

Judging from the number of replies on my Facebook status from other women, I'm not the only one.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Ernest and I watched Date Night on the plane back from Tanzania last July. I just get excited to take a shower, hoping our blessing will not cry too much before I finish-mind you that shower is not as often as I would like these days.....sleep is another pleasure I long for....it is all worth it, like you said ;-) p.s. totally agree about the preference for Date Night over Rev. Rd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the one line that stuck out in my mind too. I too have quoted from it many times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, we both wonder how we ever had the energy for date night! The scene where they are debating on whether or not to go out? That is us...and we end up opting for a rental that we happily zonk out on by 9:00! Priorities change. For my bday, John usually takes me out for a night over somewhere. This year he sent me (a surprise) with my sister for 2 nights in a hotel...dinner, dining, etc. He knew I needed that recharching but still was passionate about our marraige and family. You are such a terrific and deserving mom, Kelly. You have had a year similar to ours. I hope you get that hotel-night and diet sprite soon! XOXO

    Arianne

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts