Tuesday, February 22, 2011

These Small Hours

There is a reason I have practically sworn off music.  Right now, it is too hard to listen to it.  It seems like everything is reminding me of my Dad, of some experience, of some memory.  I love music, but it just hurts to hear it.

We just spent the last two days driving back home, clear blue skies above, dry roads beneath.  Even a speeding ticket avoided.  Clearly we had someone looking out for us this trip.

The car, my Dad's.  He wanted us to have it.  As part of the long process he went through of tying up his loose ends, he wanted to make sure that we had it.  We needed another vehicle all the kids could fit into.  He bought it all those years ago when Aidan was a baby, and he bought one with a built in TV for the kids to have.

It has a VHS player connected to it, but we added a DVD player too.  I was glad for the movies.  No music. 

One of the movies we brought with us, one the kids had already seen many times before.  Meet the Robinsons. One that I'd seen many times before.  One that has this song at the end of the movie. 

And just like that, I was fighting back tears again, reminded of all the small hours.

Little Wonders, Rob Thomas
Let it go, let it roll right off your shoulder
Don't you know the hardest part is over?
Let it in, let your clarity define you
In the end we will only just remember how it feels

Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away but these small hours
These small hours still remain

Let it slide, let your troubles fall behind you
Let it shine until you feel it all around you
And I don't mind if it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by, it's the heart that really matters in the end

Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away but these small hours
These small hours still remain

All of my regret will wash away somehow
But I cannot forget the way I feel right now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts