Monday, February 14, 2011

The Only Way

I have four children.  A thousand miles away.

It's tax season, so my husband is mostly unavailable.

The kids aren't exactly old enough to drive themselves to school, cook dinner or do their own laundry.  Not yet, anyway.

How then, am I here, while they have been there?

This is why:

My Mother-in-law between my parents, February 2010
Only because my in laws made a choice to step up and help.  They postponed their vacation, they have sacrificed sleep, they have been reminded daily of how exhausting it is to be involved in daily parenting of small kids.  They urged me to go and do what I needed to, they said it was okay. 

Without them there, there is no me here.

I will never be able to repay their kindness.  I will never be able to say thank you enough.  I will never be able to tell them how much it meant for me to be able to spend the last few weeks here, helping my father. 

I have missed my babies, but they have been well cared for. They have been loved and cuddled, fed and washed, tucked in and kissed goodnight. 

I have missed my babies, but I have known they are okay.  And that knowledge is the only way I am here.

Ken and Kathi, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts