Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Surrender

I've been watching a lot more daytime TV than I normally do.

Well, really, I've been watching a lot more TV than normal.

But the daytime TV sticks out more in my mind because I so rarely ever see any of it.  I don't tend to turn on the magic box much during the day to anything other than kids shows.

One of the morning programs is running a competition for an advice guru to be on the show.  I was intrigued. 

The finalists did brief videos telling everyone what their general philosophy is, then answering the same set of hypothetical questions that someone might ask for advice about. 

One of the questions involved finding time, finding who you are, finding what you want in life.

Made me laugh a little. 

I guess it made me laugh because I've been around the block a few times now.  I've known what I wanted, at least what I thought I wanted.  I've known who I wanted to be, what I wanted to do.  I've known all those things a few times. 

Then life showed up and told me that I really didn't know anything.

Maybe I just have had more run ins with fate.  Or chance.  Catastrophe or tragedy.  Whatever you want to call it. 

I look at where I am in my life right now, and I have to laugh at the idea than anyone holds on to that they are actually fully in control. 

So many things in this world that people ask my advice on, and my answer is often the same one, a simple one.  Whether it's parenthood or career choices or life in general, a lot of it boils down to surrendering.  Hang on, you're just along for the ride. 

Our successes in life aren't so much measured by the things we experience, but by how we handle them and how we emerge.  By our resilience.

Sometimes in order to survive, you have to surrender.

You have to wave the white flag, throw your hands up in the air, and go along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts