Thursday, January 20, 2011

Over and Under

The thing with having a blog is that it inevitably leads to over sharing.  You all know more about me than you probably should.  Or maybe even want to. 

This platform is simultaneously open and protective.  I can write whatever I am feeling, then put it out there for the world to see, but hide in my shell and not deal with the aftermath directly.  Spout my opinions, but avoid the aftermath. 

So to speak.

And sometimes I do.  Sometimes I probably over share.

Or at least some of you may think so. 

How often do I really write what I want to, say what I mean, type the words that fully describe how I am feeling? 

Not as often as you all would think.  That's for damn sure.

As I've written before, this isn't a diary.  This isn't my private journal.  I've opened it up for the world to see, invited you in. 

By doing so, I have forced myself to often resort to censorship.

I don't write what I want.  I protect people.  I lie.  I fluff. 

I understate everything anymore it seems.

Over and under, all at once. 

1 comment:

  1. How can you (and this may be a rhetorical question) blog about your life as a mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend without sharing at least once in awhile something you think twice about sharing later? Long sentence.
    I remember when I wrote my Notes. Remember those pieces of insane? Well I stopped writing in the Notes because of one reason. I wasn't myself. I had no jokes to tell or no funny coincidences or anything positive really, at all. I was suffering and not me. I wasn't writing what I wanted, I wrote what I had to, a spinning reality... for me. Sharing it was important to some friends so they could understand what I was going through. Then I stopped. I've changed. I started started posting instead of Noting because more people could see. I wanted more people to see because I was feeling more myself, I had some funny things to type. The not funny things I really didn't care who I offended, unless I knew and respected them.
    So I say this to you. Write who you are. Warn in your blog or blog title that it's not a 'happy go lucky me' day. Write the ugly, the sad, the scared. It will help you become yourself again. You are definitely supported now. You will be later too.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    I hate giving unsolicited advice. I am not confident enough. Yet I still do. Hmmmm LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts