Monday, January 24, 2011

Once a doula....

Always a doula.

I was told this by the woman who trained me all those years ago, and now I can see what she meant.

You see, being a doula isn't about medical terminology.  It isn't about interventions or the avoidance of them.  It isn't about due dates and inductions.  It isn't about techniques and training.  It isn't even about babies and their mothers necessarily.

It isn't about any of those things.

It is about helping someone on a journey to a place they haven't been. 

Calming their fears.

Making them comfortable.

Protecting their wishes.

Helping them own their experience.

Being there when sometimes no one else is.

Holding their hand.

It all makes sense now.

This is why I became a doula.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts