Friday, December 10, 2010

30 Days of Truth, Day 9

Day 9 - Who is someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted?

This one is a tough one to answer too.  Through the modern marvel that is Facebook, lots of people that could have been in this category aren't anymore.  There are a handful of people that I've lost contact with and not been really upset about.  You go your way, I'll go mine, good?

Then there are the people that this question makes me think about.  The ones that I really wish I could see, could talk to.  The people who I would love to be close to again, but for some reason it just doesn't happen anymore.  Ironically, some of the people on this list are actually family members.  They can't ever go anywhere for long, and never permanently (the blessing and curse of being related I suppose), but there are more than a few of them that I used to be closer to than I am now.  Then there are the other people, the friends. 

A couple come to mind straight away.   This one I miss the most.

The day I moved into the dorms as a freshman in college is one of the days I think I might always remember with clarity.  I met so many people that day, probably more than I'd ever met in one day in my life.  A few of them ended up becoming some of my best friends in the world. 

Most of the girls in this group of ours lived on the same floor, but not all.  There was one, Janis, who lived a few below the rest of us.  She was gorgeous and had a confidence that most people could not fathom ever possessing at 18.  She was who she was and you took her or left her the way she was.  I love that about her.

Over the college years, we had some good times.  We had some damn good times.  

She was in my wedding along with several of the other girls I met that day, and for as long as we lived in San Diego, I'd drive up occasionally to see her.  She'd come down by car, by bus, by train, to see me.  Then I moved here and she moved back home to Wisconsin.  Like everyone else it seems, life had gotten more complicated for her.  Family health problems, messy relationships.  You know, those things people don't warn you about when you are all excited about becoming a grown up.  

Since we've been here, I've seen her only once.  She travels here for conferences for work every few years, and when she does, she almost always calls.  The last time she was out here, I had to cancel on her.  I had two kids sick with the flu.  

She got married a few weeks ago, and though I was invited to her wedding, I couldn't afford the trip to Wisconsin.  There have been too many trips West this year and all our extra pennies have gone for those.  I wish I could have gone.  

Of course, if she'd just cave in and get on Facebook like everyone else, we wouldn't have this problem.  ;)

I miss you, J.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts