Friday, December 31, 2010

30 Days of Truth, Day 30

Day 30 — Write a letter to yourself, tell yourself EVERYTHING you love about yourself.

See, now....these are the kinds of tasks I am horrible at.  When I was a senior in college, I asked one of my favorite professors for a letter of recommendation for my law school applications.  He told me to set aside an hour and meet him in his office. 

I walked in, figuring that he'd want to talk to me a little bit more before writing the letter.  Nope.

He had another idea.  He sat me down in front of his computer, a blank word document before my eyes.  And he told me to write my own letter. 

I'm not even sure what I actually wrote, but he took one look at it and said that it was terrible.  That I hadn't done myself justice.  That I needed to learn to embrace my abilities more and be proud of myself.  That I needed to learn to brag.  Then he threw out what I wrote.

He of course wrote me a glowing letter of recommendation later that day.  When he called me back to pick it up, he made me sit in his office again.  And he made me read it.  Aloud.

He told me that this was how other people saw me, and that I needed to see it too. 

I felt silly sitting in his office crying, until he told me that he thought I might. 

Humility, he said, was more important than anything else.  The whole letter writing thing was a test, and I had passed.

He was a brilliant man.

I've never been pretentious.  I've never been self-important.  My parents taught me to stay grounded, that people are just people and no one is better than anyone else. 

I didn't write letters to myself then, and I am not going to start now.

I guess this means I am not answering the question, but I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts