Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Things That We Do

It's getting close to that time.  Where kids will finalize their lists, decide what they want the very most in the world, sit on the lap of a man in a red suit and ask.

Every year, there are categories of the things my kids ask for.

The unattainable, like a pony.

The silly, like a wheel of cheese.

The practical, like socks.

The thought provoking, like the set of encyclopedias.

The popular, like Monster Dolls.

This year, Ashley has decided she can't live without Monster High Dolls.  Unfortunately, there seem to be lots of other little girls who also can't live without them.

She got one a few months ago and fell deeply in love with them.  I should have been tipped off then, considering that the one she got was the last on the shelves.  I'd never heard of them before that day.

Of course, now they are sold out online.  Hard to find in the stores, and you pretty much have to be there when they are stocking to get them. 

Not that this is anything new, of course.  Every year there is something.  A few years ago, it was the Tickle Me Elmo.  I got up at 4am to stand in line in the toy section to get that one.  The kids still play with it, which is nice.  All that time and effort wasn't for nothing.

The following year, Aidan was obsessed with Diego.  That year, Diego was all the rage, the newest show.  It was so new that there weren't any toys out for it at all.  And he wanted a Rescue Pack.  Let's just say it took me a long time to find an orange messenger bag, a logo to download and print and iron transfer and sew on.  It never got played with.  I'm still a bit annoyed about that one.

Then last year came along and the tiny little battery powered hamsters were all the rage.  They were hard to find for sure, and if it wasn't for the many, many sets of eyes out there looking, many kids would have had fewer hamsters under their trees here last year.  A group of us moms agreed to look whenever we could, buy whatever we found, and share the goods with each other.  It worked. 

It got to the point of being comical, since we couldn't talk about what we were really looking for whenever the kids were around.  We started to talk about hair products instead.  Hard to find hair products.  Turns out that hair products aren't so hard to find when you've got a bunch of moms looking for them at the same time.

I have a feeling the Monster High dolls might be the HTF hair product this year.  Or at least I hope so....I could use a few more sets of eyes. 

Happy hunting!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I want to know what Monster High dolls are.....I bought the kid's stuff months ago, and glad that when the toy catalogs are rolling in, they are still the tops on the list...albeit the list is getting longer and Mama is already done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...I was also hoping that I would not stoop to desparte measures for the kid's Christmas Gifts...I mean really, but then I realized that I was contemplating hip checking an old lady with a cane over a costume.....sooo yeah, I'll be in stores at midnight, in lines in the snow at 3:00 a.m. for that special toy...sigh

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts