Sunday, November 14, 2010

Leadership Rant

My head hurts less today, so I guess I can write this.

I'm annoyed. 

Pissed off is more like it.

I'm sick and tired of people who make commitments to kids and then bail on them.  I'm sick and tired of people who volunteer to help lead then halfway through the year decide it's too much.

Really?  Spending 2-4 hours a month to be involved in something that your child is benefiting from is too much?  Really?

Maybe it is just an "off" year.  I don't know.  But this one has been rough with getting people to commit to doing anything.

The kids in danger of losing their activities here are not mine, this is true.  It's for one of the other age groups.  Aidan's group is fine.  Oh wait, that's because my husband took on Aidan's group and is already the Cub master.  No one else would step up.  Because we refuse to be the parents that let other people's lack of commitment affect our kids. 

Pile it on.

So now, halfway through the year, we are left trying to find someone else willing to half-heartedly lead.  Someone else who will put in the minimal effort required and leave at the first opportunity.  Someone else who doesn't understand that their own kids are missing out because no one is willing to help them.  Someone else who is too busy.

The kids get bored waiting for someone to step up.  And they lose interest.  They want to quit.  And their parents, the ones unwilling to help, they let them.

And  they wonder why people with the best of intentions get burned out. 

Rant over. 

Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts