Thursday, November 4, 2010

It Gets Better

I wrote about the tragic suicide of Trevor Clementi a while back.  He isn't the first gay youth to commit suicide after being tormented and bullied by other people.  And, sadly, he almost certainly won't be the last. 

His death has not been in vain though.  It did not happen one day and was forgotten the next.  He has been an inspiration to so many in this country to take action.  To speak out.  To take a chance and boldly tell the world about their experiences, to speak to the young people in the place where Trevor was, to tell them that it gets better. 

And, from the people I have known in my life to go through the process of finding themselves, confronting that and going public with it, I can tell you that it does get better.

Like so many things in life, sometimes you just have to get through it.  Because it does get better.

A friend of mine, one who struggled with his reality in college when I first knew him, volunteered to be a part of The Trevor Project's It Gets Better campaign. 

Words cannot express how proud I am today.  Of him.  Of who he was and who he is and what he is doing.  Good job, Mike!

The video is linked here

To find out more about The Trevor Project, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts