Monday, November 8, 2010

Early

I got up at 6:17 A.M. this morning.  Sigh.

I suppose that I should provide you with some background here.

I don't get up early, at least not that early, unless I have a good reason. 

The kids don't start school until after 9, so I rarely do. 

I was joking with a friend this weekend that I will wake up early voluntarily for three things:

1.  Vacation
2.  Surgery
3.  Black Friday

That's about it.  I am not a morning person.  Never have been, and don't have any intentions of ever becoming such.  I stay up late and wake up only when I have to. 

But this morning, I was wide awake at 6:17. 

It's not like my body had received it's 8 hours of restful sleep and was refreshed and ready to go or anything.   By the way, I can't remember the last time I got 8 uninterrupted hours.  Maybe someday that will happen again.  Maybe.  I didn't go to bed until almost midnight and had  a hard time falling asleep.  Add in two middle of the night guests to our room, and I can guarantee you that about five hours is the most optimistic estimation of the amount of sleep I actually got.  So it's not that.

It's not like I had set my alarm to wake me up for some compelling reason.  Nope.

It's not like the kids were up and causing mayhem and destruction.  They were all asleep still, two of them snoring next to me.

Why then? 

There is only one explanation, and it's the same one that led to me ask this question last night:  Wait....it's only 7:30?  Why isn't it later?  WHY?

Darn time changes.

I'm not much a fan of the time changes.  My husband, even less a fan.  This week will be a hard one for him.  It makes him sad when it is dark by the time he leaves for work.  No fun, no play on weeknights anymore.  Not for a while.

We'll adjust, eventually. 



It's funny because even though this is the change where you get an extra hour, it never quite seems that way.  At least not in this house.  The days are shorter, the nights longer.  The kids are cooped up inside for longer in the afternoon and evening.  My husband trapped indoors for all the daylight hours.  Sure you get another hour, but that hour is in the dark.  And that doesn't do us much good around here.

We never have as hard a time adjusting to the change in the Spring.  Take away an hour, we are fine with it.  Just give us back our daylight. 

On the upside, it's just barely 8 now.  The kids are all up, dressed and fed.  They are doing chores, and I am done writing for the day. 

I guess it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts