Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas OCD

Today is going to be one of those days. 

I need to be kept busy today.

I have a few errands to run, a kitchen to clean and a mountain of laundry calling my name.  For all that, today, I am grateful.

I don't like days like today.

Here's my best attempt at humor today...

My name is Kelly and I have tree light installation OCD.  Like so many other things in my life, I am an admitted control freak about the lights on the Christmas tree.  In fact, I can't ever remember a year that my husband put them on the tree. 

I have a special kind of crazy.

Of course, we elevate decorating for the holidays to a level that most people wouldn't fathom.  We honestly put away almost all our typical year round decor to make room for the boxes and boxes of stuff in the house. 

You know that picture I posted yesterday with the stuff in the yard?  Yeah, well, there's even more of it out there now. 

I blame two things for the decor obsession.  1) Family tradition and 2) The first real neighborhood we used to live near.  When we got married, we lived in an apartment for a few years, then a condo.  There really wasn't much to decorate back then, certainly nothing outside.  We started to acquire indoor stuff years before the outside decorations.

Then we bought our first house.  Our neighborhood wasn't one full of millions of twinkling lights and yards full of inflatable cheer, but the adjacent one was.  It got to be such a tradition over there that just about everyone in the entire neighborhood put up elaborate themed displays.  Hand painted wooden cutouts, reindeer on the roofs, flood lights as far as the eye could see.  We walked that neighborhood at least once every year, my husband giddy with excitement at what his yard would someday look like. 

The first year in the house we got the giant inflatable Santa.  Or as my neighbor at the time referred to it, the beacon that let him know he was almost home from over a mile away.  That was the beginning of the end.

Yesterday, we finished the decorating.  He put out all the stuff in the yard he swore to me that he wouldn't, then he put up the tree.  I immediately dropped whatever I was doing (unloading the huge mound of boxes for the decorations inside the house) to put the lights on the tree.

I want to say there are 12 strings on it this year.  It's a 6 1/2 foot tree.  Yes, I know that works out to roughly 2 strings per foot.  I methodically wrap every branch.  I squint and stand back to check for uniformity throughout the entire process.  It really is ridiculous.  I lost a string of lights this year, half of it wouldn't light up.  There is one less on there this year than last, and though I am sure I am the only one who sees it, I do.

It's part of the Christmas OCD thing.

Admitting you have a problem is.....well......admitting you have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts