Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Tooth Fairy, revisited

Rather than write about all the other things I refuse to let myself, I decided to revisit an old post today.  This is the story of how my Dad became the Tooth Fairy, for those who have asked me.  He's a little tired this week, having made two long flights out to Colorado to drop off goodies. 

Much love to the Tooth Fairy.  xoxo

Originally posted in March, 2009...

The Tooth Fairy is one of the mythical creatures of childhood. Like the others, namely the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy comes only at night, only when kids are fast asleep and tucked into their beds.

When Aidan was 4 or 5, we were talking about what people in our family do for their jobs. The conversation was started by Uncle TJ showing up in his uniform one day. Aidan was well aware of the fact that Uncle TJ is a firefighter/paramedic - especially since he'd been an occupant of the back of TJ's ambulance once.

We started going through the other people in our family. Of course, I had to try and find a way to explain what each person did in a way that he could understand. Papa was a policeman - that one was easy. Grandma Judy worked in an office. Daddy is an accountant - though, to this day, I'm not sure that Aidan really understands what that means, other than Daddy is gone a lot this time of year. Uncle Gary and Aunt Gretchen help people get money to buy houses. Grandma Kathi worked at a grocery store. Uncle Tim is in the Air Force, and he's a mechanic for all kinds of cool trucks.

When we got to Grandpa, I was a little unsure of how to explain what he does. The best way that I could explain it was that Grandpa helps people when their teeth fall out, and he makes them new ones.

Aidan stared at me for a while, and then he asked me a completely serious, honest question - one that is logical for a 4 year old. He asked if Grandpa was the Tooth Fairy. Without missing a beat, I replied that yes, he is.

I called Dad that day to inform him of his new responsibilities. I haven't heard him laugh that hard in a long time. It's now part of the family folklore that Grandpa is the Tooth Fairy. Somewhere, someday, I will find a full length picture of Dad to photoshop. He needs a tutu and wings.

Whenever Aidan has lost a tooth, the first person he has to call besides Daddy is Grandpa. Even if one is loose, he'll usually ask to call. Today was Ashley's turn. She has had a few wigglers, and one tooth decided that it was time to go. She was nervous and scared, unsure what to expect. Her first instinct was to call Grandpa. He'd know what to do.

He is the Tooth Fairy, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts