Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Peek Into the Future

Though it doesn't happen all that often, when my husband is sick, he takes a day off.  This last time around, he came home from work on one day...you know, the day that he realized I wasn't kidding when I told him not to laugh at me when I was sick.  He promptly went upstairs and slept for about 5 hours after he got here.  If only I had that option.

He took the following day off too since this isn't the kind of virus where you can just put your head down and keep on keeping on.  It's a doozy. 

I just used the word doozy.  Wow.

Anyway, the following day he felt a little more human and was able to stand upright.  Since he was home, that meant that everything about my normal routine was thrown out the window.   My normal schedule, no more.  I still had to take the kids here and there, to and from, of course.  I still had to make dinner and do all the regular chores around the house.  I still had to negotiate nap time with an unwilling two year old.

I just had to do all that with him here.

Let me tell you...he is so very predictable anymore.  I can just imagine that this is what my life is going to be like when we are old and retired.  All day.  Every day.

He loves game shows.  He can literally watch them all day.  It doesn't matter if they are current game shows or repeats of the old ones from the 70s and 80s.  He loves them all.  He has formed opinions about who is hosting the shows now versus who used to in the past.  He plays along with the contestants, often congratulating himself aloud when he answers something before they do.  He yells at the TV. 

I don't mind the occasional game show, but I can't stand to watch them for hours like he can. 

It would be bad enough if he really did just leave the channel set.  But he can't.  He literally can't keep his hands off the remote control.  Even if he likes what he is watching, one show is never enough.  It's as if there is some bizarre male compulsion to push buttons constantly.

And.He.Can't.Help.It.

I see all kinds of things that are never on TV unless he is home.  Shows about wilderness survival and fantasy football drafts.  Shows about how bridges are built.  Stand up comedians.  South Park.  Jackass.  Bad movies from the 80s.  Like Robocop.  I wish I was kidding.

When he isn't home, there are entire days that the TV isn't even turned on.  But when he's home, it's a constant in the background of my life. 

I see what the future holds.  It's filled with a lot of The Price is Right.

Let's just hope they have a new host by then.  My husband can't stand this one. 

If only that stopped him from watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts