Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bad Habits

I've been thinking about this topic for a while now, about bad habits.  Then one of my own worst habits manifested all over again.  I did it again. 

And I got caught.

I have this terrible habit of staring at people unintentionally.  Staring...you know, that thing that we teach our kids not to do.  Guilty, as charged.

It tends to happen most often in crowded places,  or when I am standing in a line somewhere. 

It's hard to find something to do with your eyes that is appropriate when you are surrounded by strangers.  I am not one of those people who can obsessively focus on my phone...mostly because I just don't have one of those new fangled fancy phone dealios.  I just have a phone.  I can't pretend to be browsing the internet, catching up on the news or listening to some new music. 

So I stand.  And I wait.  And occasionally, I find myself staring at a total stranger for far longer than is probably appropriate.  Mostly I am just zoning out.  It's not that I intentionally find someone unusual to look at either.  Most of my unwilling victims are just ordinary everyday people. 

Usually I catch myself doing it and avert my eyes in time.  Not always.

I most recently got caught in the line at Chick-fil-A.  I was looking at a very pregnant woman, mostly because I am drawn to them magnetically.  Ever since I became a doula, I have developed an uncanny ability to spot a pregnant women in a half mile radius.  This particular pregnant woman was one of those adorably pregnant ones, you know....all belly.  Still rocking her regular jeans, cute little shirt on.  One of them. 

I didn't even realize how long I must have been looking at her until her boyfriend/husband/whatever waved to me. 

Oh crap.  My bad.

Have you ever been caught doing something silly like that?  What are your embarrassing bad habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts