Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Too Busy

I'm just too busy.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have heard that one lately. It seems like with each passing year I hear it more and more often. Parents are less and less willing to help, but still want their kids to experience everything. They aren't any less demanding though, which is super fun.

Everywhere you go anymore, every after school activity, every sports team....it's the same group of parents running the show. It's like we just move from one activity to the next because we know that if we don't do it, no one else is going to step up and offer to.

And I'm tired of the excuses.

I have four kids, but I help run the popcorn sale for Cub Scouts and am a newly anointed Daisy leader. I volunteer at school, often from home since I have a toddler. My husband works, but he is still the Cubmaster, Webelos Den leader, and an assistant coach for baseball. We're busy. But we still do it.

We are so busy here between the actual time spent at the kid's activities and all the time spent planning them since we are in charge of so many of them, we hardly have any down time.

And yet, I found myself entertaining seriously in my head the thought of volunteering to teach religious education last night. Fortunately, I didn't offer my time to anyone before the rational part of my brain kicked in and told me to keep my mouth shut.

At church, as with everything else, there aren't enough people to volunteer anymore. In some cases, the classes have been combined. The kids stuffed in the rooms like sardines.

I really was thinking about helping, but I have a two year old with the shortest attention span in the history of time. I'd have to find someone to watch him every week, which is asking a lot because he is a handful. If I had to pay a sitter, even occasionally, it would end up costing me more than the money I'd save in free tuition for the classes.

To be honest, I am not sure I can handle any more responsibilities at the moment. My sanity is worth more to me than trying to save a few bucks on the classes at church. Plus, though it was a long time ago and at a different church, I've paid my dues. I taught religious education for four years already.

Besides, I'm just too busy. Except that I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts