Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Nice

There is a commercial running right now, I'm sure some of you have seen it. An iPad user asks a Kindle user how she can read it in the sunlight with the glare. She replies back that there is not glare (or something like that), and that it's only $139, and she spent more than that on her sunglasses.

That's about where I laughed out loud.

I don't get the iPad. I am slightly opposed to everything the Kindle stands for. It wasn't the pieces of technology intended to be the focus of the commercial that grabbed my attention.

It was the idea that someone would spend $139 on a pair of sunglasses that made me laugh.

I know people who pay that much for sunglasses. I know people who pay more. Me? Just.Can't.Do.It. No way, no how.

I can honestly say that the most I've ever spent on a pair of sunglasses is probably about $25, and that was a splurge. I knew when I bought them it was money poorly spent. They met the same fate as all my other sunglasses.

They were lost or sat on or pulled apart or scratched or dropped.

They always are.

I just can't have nice things.

I just can't have nice things, primarily because I have children. If they aren't doing the damage directly to them, they are inevitably distracting me so that I don't notice when I leave them somewhere and walk away.

It doesn't matter what I do. My sunglasses never last long. I'm currently in search of the pair that went missing some time last week. I probably won't find them. God only knows where they are.

I have about six pairs of sunglasses here that I could wear if I really had to. Except that I won't. I'm picky. And for whatever reason, my sunglasses must meet two requirements in order to be worn. They must fit my oddly shaped face, and they must stay on the top of my head when I put them there. Not many pairs of sunglasses fit the bill, and none of the six here will work.

Yes, I said it. I have an oddly shaped face. I do.

Please don't all start staring at my head now!!!

I have a tiny little head, so small that children's hats fit me. The bridge of my nose is too narrow from breaking it a bunch of times when I was a kid. Then there is the matter of my ears. Not only do those bad boys stick out, but they are uneven. One ear is higher than the other. It's not like OMG her ears are funky uneven, but it's enough to really affect wearing glasses. I know. I'm just strange.

I really need to accept that this pair is gone and get some new ones. It takes me a while to find sunglasses that meet my requirements and are cheap enough that I will actually walk out of the store with them.

It's a good thing the ones I most recently lost only cost me $9.99. Let's hope the new ones do too.

Maybe someday I will be able to have nice things. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Your nose sounds like an Asian nose. Charlotte can not wear sunglasses for that reason, they just slide off her face. I bought her a pair of Dora ones and she puts them on upside down in order to keep them from sliding down. I unfortunately wear glasses, and when I moved here, I chucked my contacts, just couldn't hack them in the dry weather, so now I buy expensive prescription ones, and I bought glasses that transition in the sun to darker. I am super careful about them. And my hubby bought me a Kindle for my b-day. I really didn't want one, but didn't have the heart to tell him. But I do like that it is light weight, I do not like paying the same price for digital that I pay for print...and I kinda miss flipping through pages, but it is getting me to read some books I otherwise would not have picked up. Not quite a convert, but getting there...travel will be easier w/ it

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts