Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mysterious

I feel a bit like a chicken lately. More specifically, I feel like a chicken without a head. You know, the ones running around madly. That kind of chicken.

I have way too many things to do and not enough hours in the day.

And I have to do all of them with a tiny dictator fighting me every step of the way. At least my tiny dictator is cute, and he does nap occasionally. So, I'll forgive him. For now, anyway.

I was feeling just about completely overwhelmed this morning at drop off. First day of school. Chaos. More on that some other day. I just don't have the energy to be frustrated about it again right now. Yeah, it really was that bad.

Anyhow, I knew that as soon as I got the kids to their classrooms I had to go to the store with Napoleon (the tiny dictator, aka AJ). We got the shopping done with only a few fits and one escape....I let him out of the cart to try on shoes and he took off running, laughing. That little bugger is fast, even with one shoe on.

I felt the early twinge of a migraine coming on.

Fortunately, he fell asleep on the way home and I was able to unload the car in peace. He even did me the favor of staying asleep on the trip upstairs. I put everything away, then glanced over at the laundry room, still in full post-vacation swing. I flipped the switch for the light. Nothing. Figured the other switch must be stuck in the middle. Nope.

All four of the fluorescent lights in the laundry room were burnt out. One went right before we left on the trip, but the other three must have gone out this morning. The laundry room is in the middle of the house,and it's pretty dark in there. I couldn't see anything. I couldn't do any laundry. Darn.

So I did the unthinkable, at least in my world, I laid down for a little while. I closed my eyes trying to squeeze out the light that was making my head feel like it could explode at any second. And I slept.

When I woke up, to the mischievous giggles of a newly two year old boy, I felt a little better.

There is a saying that the lord works in mysterious ways. I'm not claiming he was at work in my house today or that he had anything to do with the coincidental timing of my headache and my sudden inability to wash and dry and fold. But maybe he was and maybe he did.

And maybe, just maybe, god's mysterious ways involve light bulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts