Friday, August 6, 2010

If

I'm not the type of person to shy away from an argument. Never have been. Even as a kid, I'd point out the flaws in the logic of others. Precocious, that's what they called me.

As I've gotten older, particularly after moving to the place I call home now, I've learned that a lot of times it's better just not to argue.

That is, if you want to keep your friends.

I have many, many friends these days who stand on the other side of virtually every issue I used to love to argue about. The issues that still anger me. The inequalities, the injustices. The unfairness.

I know more people who think the opposite than agree with me anymore. I think part of it is a regional thing. I'm a little too close to middle America now.

I grew up in Southern California. Some of my best friends growing up were the children of immigrants, from countries all over the world. I wasn't ever hesitant about people who spoke other languages. I was intrigued by it. I wanted to learn more about their culture. To me they were just people like those in my family, only more interesting.

I have friends that I have known were gay since we were children. In my eyes it was never a choice or a question or a place to lay blame or anything anyone should ever be ashamed of. It just was. Again, I've never seen anything different about it. People are just people.

These two issues seem to be the current political hot button arguments at the moment. Immigration and gay marriage.

I won't bother going into telling you all where I stand on them. I would think that most of you could probably figure it out from what I've already written.

And I sure don't plan to argue about it with anyone.

I learned a long time ago that people don't change their opinions on these things often, and it's never because someone convinced them to.

It's because they figured out that they were wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts