Monday, July 5, 2010

Rain

Yesterday we went to a BBQ for the 4th at a friend's house. We ate, drank, were merry. All that jazz. The sky was ominous, the weather radios kept going off. Needless to say, no one was surprised when the clouds opened up and the rain started to come down.

We all drove over to the other end of town, not sure whether the city would go forward with the fireworks show as planned. It was raining pretty steadily.

At some point, prematurely, we decided it wasn't worth waiting since they weren't going to shoot them off. And we left. Of course, we had just pulled away from the fairgrounds when the first one went up.

Rather than just going home, I thought maybe we should try to get a spot really quick up at the golf course. There is a little secluded driveway through it that overlooks the town. It was a long shot, but worth a try. As luck would have it, there was room up there. Technically we were in a no parking zone, but since it was pouring we didn't even turn off the engine, let alone get out of the car.

We sat there, listening to the distant booms and echoes, the rain hitting the roof of the car. For almost thirty minutes. It was beautiful and peaceful, though a little surreal to be watching fireworks in the rain.

I don't know what it is about fireworks. They make me cry. Always have. You should see me at Disneyland. I turn into a sobbing mess. It's that bad.

And this year, like so many others before, I cried.

Sitting in the rain. Wishing that someone far away could see what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts