Saturday, July 3, 2010

Know

I have the kids convinced that I have superpowers. Well, I have Aidan convinced at least. In his world, as of today, I can see all the things they do. I even have eyes in the back of my head. I can hear everything they are getting into. I can heal boo-boos. I know everything.

Nothing is further from the truth.

I know it won't last for long. At some point, my children will decide that the opposite is true. That I know nothing. That they know everything. It's an inevitable part of adolescence, and not one I am particularly looking forward to.

Back when I was in that stage where I thought I knew everything, I was a real hand full. I questioned everything, challenged constantly. I'm sure I drove my parents crazy. I am sure that I looked like a fool back then. Pretty sure I was one.

The thing about life is this: the more you see, the less you know.

Maybe that is why people who've never had kids are so damn good at giving out advice about them. Maybe that is why people who've had very few struggles of their own in life seem to be the most flippant about those that others endure. Maybe that is why it seems like you have to be young to be idealistic.

Once you've been around the block a few times, it gets harder and harder to be that way.

I've seen enough that I have learned to embrace the fact that there are a great many things in this world I don't know anything about. I've learned that all the knowledge in the world sometimes cannot make sense of the things that happen. I've learned that the things I most often know the least about are ones that I once believed I knew.

Someday, eventually, my children will figure this all out. I don't know how long I've got left before they doubt me. Until they decide that I know nothing and they know it all. Probably not as long as I'd like.

Then, for a while, they will believe that they know it all. Until one day they realize they don't. By then, though, they will probably have children of their own. That whole circle of life thing.

I think in a lot of ways, having children has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. Someday, for them, it will be too.

In between though, for a while, they'll know everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts