Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wish

In a few days, my husband and I will celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary. We were together for six years before that. Seems like we've been with each other forever.

We did meet when we were 15, so it's pretty close.

I'm sure that many of you know the story of how we met. We sat next to each other in Driver's Ed for the entire semester in tenth grade and didn't speak to one another until the end of May. He never once acknowledged my existence. Just sat there, eyes straight ahead, bored to tears for months. It's not like I talked to him either, at least not until I had to.

The guy sitting in front of me was annoying. Really annoying. But, it's because of him that we are together, so I guess it was a good thing. I finally had enough of him and turned to the next closest person, Tom, trying to get some distraction from the annoyance.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Our story isn't that exciting I know. It's cute maybe, how we met in high school and all. But not exciting.

There's another piece of the story though, one that not as many people know. It involves my father. And fate.

Before I met Tom, I was on a boy crazy stretch. I think at one time I was sort-of seeing 4 guys simultaneously. Immediately before I met Tom, there was another guy. An older guy. A much older guy. Who had a job and a car and an attitude. My dad was not a fan. At all.

Dad knew though that he couldn't ever let me know how much he couldn't stand this older guy, because that would only make me like him more. (I was also in a rebellious stage...okay, decade...) So, he didn't.

One day, Dad came home from work and told me a story. About how he'd been at one of the dentist's office that day and saw a nice, clean cut young man sitting in the waiting room. Dad described what this guy looked like. He seemed well mannered, sat and talked kindly with his mother. And he looked like he was about my age.

Dad wondered aloud why I couldn't just date guys like that. Then he sighed and shook his head at me in his silent disapproving way.

Less than an hour later, the doorbell rang. It was Tom. His mom had brought him over to the house for the first time (remember we were only 15 and couldn't drive yet!).

As soon as he walked into the house, I thought Dad was going to fall over. Tom was the guy in the waiting room that he had just seen that day. The one he had decided would be perfect for his daughter.

Call it fate if you will. We've been together ever since.

Sometimes as a parent you have to be careful what you wish for. Anytime Dad ever gets frustrated or annoyed with Tom, which truth be told, hasn't been often, I just remind him.....it was what he wanted. And he has no one to blame but himself.

Love you Dad.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great Simi High reference, first of all. I can picture the Driver's Ed teacher right now. Don't know if you had him or not, but he was a bit strange. If I didn't have a headache I would drag out my yearbook. Loved the rebellious decade confession, also the older boys. Well, men. Guilty as *raises hand* hell. The fate part couldn't be more amazing. I often wonder what life would be like had I not moved in 11nth grade. I never knew Tom. Out of all the people that went to that school, he was one of the few I didn't know of. So I never knew the story of how you two met, or, most importantly, how you stayed together. Had it not been for fate, I probably would have. Mine took me on curvy and snagging roads, all without signs. Different states, different mates, different fates! Now I am here, like now you are there, and fate brought the story to me. Like it never intended...then.
    Terrific story...and terrific men! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts