Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Show

I know that I did it to my parents when I was a kid. I know that we made countless family members suffer through probably a hundred of them. Even back when I was a kid, I knew that I wasn't really meant for the stage. The rolling eyes and audible sighs in the audience always told me so.

And yet, the show went on.

Every holiday, birthday and family gathering, there was a show. There had to be a show. We'd make everyone sit there, demand all their attention, then bore them silly with amazing shows. We would sing and dance, sometimes there were costumes involved. The shows usually had some kind of theme or idea behind them, but I remember there was a lot of improv going on.

The more kids that were around, the more elaborate the shows were. On my Dad's side of the family, there were always a ton of us cousins. And everyone would participate. Shows that big required planning. And better costumes. I think we probably spent half our time together rehearsing back then.

Thing is....the shows sucked. Sure, our parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles would sit there. They'd be good sports about watching our performances, at least for a little while. Until something more interesting tore them away.

Payback time.

My kids, though they have no cousins close to their age, or anywhere around here, have enough siblings to put on shows. And do they ever. They even make tickets and programs for their performances. There are always costumes. And it seems like there is more improv these days.

Don't get me wrong, it's cute and all. The work they put in is impressive. They have a great time doing it.

Unfortunately, the shows still suck.

So if you're ever at my house and the kids ask you to come to the show, I'm apologizing in advance. You're never getting that time back. And yes, we are all going to sit and watch it. For a little while, at least.

I know that eventually they will outgrow this. Until then, I'll just enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts