Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Junkie

I have a bit of a problem, I know. I'll admit it. I'm a junkie.

I'm obsessed with the weather this time of year. Wildly obsessed.

I check the radar almost constantly. Find myself peeking out the windows in every direction several times a day.

I blame it mostly on the fact that I was once stuck outside when the sky turned an eerie green color. I've looked up at the swirling clouds above my head and wondered what if.

Up until that point, I thought that we were safe here. That tornadoes couldn't happen in this area.

Here's the thing though. It didn't really freak me out. In fact it has done quite the opposite.

I find myself mesmerized by the cloud formations. How they can start so small and grow so fast, reaching for the heavens above. The wall of rain that can come in an instant. The way that the hair on the back of your neck stands at attention when the lightning is too near. How thunder sounds when it bounces off the mountains.

These storms, as powerful as they are, are a magnificent thing to behold. Though most people are afraid of them, I can see what draws some to them. What makes people want to study the sky, chase storms.

It's the adrenaline rush. The thrill. The mystery of it all.

Keep an eye on the sky. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts