Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ride

This morning, I am thankful for a great many things.

Thankful that I am blessed by wonderful friends who become my clients and who trust me to help them when they need it the most. Who let me into their lives and their hearts. Who let me hold their hands and wipe their tears. Answer their questions and calm their fears.

Thankful for all my mommy friends, many of which help me so that I may help others.

Thankful for my in-laws who willingly subject themselves to the chaos of temporarily parenting my kids when I need to be somewhere else.

Thankful for the fact that my husband bought pizza and soda last night. He knew that was exactly what I needed to come home to. Man, I was hungry by the time I got home. Labor can do that to a person, even when you aren't the who is in it.

Thankful for the end of the school year and the fact that I didn't have anywhere I needed to be early this morning. I needed to sleep just a little longer today.

Thankful for my healthy children and thankful for the fast and uncomplicated labors I have had.

But mostly this morning, I am thankful for doctors and nurses. The doctor who allowed my friend, my client, to do things her way, even though she didn't really want to. Who gave her the gift of trying. I am grateful for fast acting nurses, for a compassionate anesthesiologist who let me still help even when my time was done. Who understood that being a doula meant I had to help them even though I wasn't the one getting them through this delivery anymore.

Thankful for all those things that I stand against generally as a doula. Inductions and epidurals and internal monitors and c-sections. I am thankful for them this morning, because even though they might be used more often than they should, they are there when you really need them. And last night was one of those times.

A baby was coming, it is true. He just had plans that were different than ours.

It's a good lesson to be reminded of, really. Sometimes we are truly just along for the ride. I was glad to be on that ride with them last night. Everyone reached their destination safely, even if it was a bit scary there for a while.

A beautiful, wild, scary ride.

Happy Birthday Baby Boy

1 comment:

  1. You have me tearing up a bit! Birth really is a beautiful thing. I would love to experience it from a different perspective sometimes. Your friends are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts