Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back

If I could go back in time, I know there are a lot of things I would tell myself. Things I would warn myself about. Things I would change, do differently. A lot of them.

Hindsight is 20/20, so they say. It's too bad that foresight couldn't be that way at least occasionally. Sure would be nice if we could know what the future held and make adequate preparations for it. To know when to save that money, when to splurge on that vacation, when to leave sooner, when to linger longer. If only.

There isn't much ever to be gained from looking back on the past with regret. The coulda, shoulda, wouldas. We all have them. Some more than others, I suppose. And right about now it seems like I have a ton of them.

There is an argument to be made that we reflect on the past so that we can do things differently in the future. That we are intended to learn from our mistakes, to remember the consequences of our choices and change them if need be.

But what about the times where there isn't a chance to ever do it again? What about when there will be no opportunities to redeem yourself? When that ship has sailed, never to return again? And there aren't any boats left in the harbor.

Sometimes life just sucks. And you don't get a chance to warn yourself it's gonna.

But then I guess you wouldn't want to know, right? Better to go on living life blissfully oblivious to what is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts