Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Served

I had to laugh today. Some people just make me do that from time to time.

I think that in this life you are either the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, or you want other people to do them for you. I am in the first category for sure. Almost too much. I have a hard time asking for help, delegating. I don't want to need other people.

I know lots of people who fall into the second category. We all do. Some of you out there reading this will probably put yourself into that group. There are lots of things in this world that are unpleasant to do. That people are more than happy to have others help with. To pay for other people to do for them.

I don't have an issue with that, really. If you are lucky enough to have people willing to do those things for you, more power to ya. If you have the financial resources to pay other people to do the unpleasant things so you don't have to, great. Happy for you. Really.

The times I am amused, like this morning, are for a different reason. When people, perfectly capable of completing basic, simple tasks themselves expect other people, sometimes strangers, to do it for them. That sense of expectation, that there are things beneath them. That other people are supposed to do for them. I think it's the sense of entitlement that gets to me.

I saw a mom, who I happen to know, in the parking lot at the grocery store this morning. Her cart, carrying her child (who is really too big to be sitting in the cart still), and two small bags of groceries, was being pushed by one of the store employees.

Really?

I have graciously accepted help out to the car with groceries only a handful of times. The only time I ever did, I was pregnant. Very pregnant. And wrangling toddlers at the same time. I tend to think that the grocery clerks are there to help for times like that. When someone actually needs it. Not just because they want it.

But then, I guess that is the difference between her and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts