Friday, April 2, 2010

High

One of the best things about having kids is that you get to indulge in what would otherwise be strange and guilty pleasures. You just get to blame the kids. You get to listen to cheesy music. You get to play with toys. You get to go to amusement parks and ride the kid rides. You get to watch kid movies, and no one looks at you funny.

Ashley is obsessed with the High School Musical movies. She even had a HSM birthday party last year. I'm not quite sure why, but we had a break of at least a few months where she didn't mention it at all. We didn't listen to the CD. We didn't watch the movies. I started to miss Troy and Gabriella and Sharpay.

Then, as if she sensed my feelings, she asked if we could watch one of the movies. YES! Of course, I didn't show how excited I was. That would just be taking it too far.

The third movie in particular is good. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I think they are pretty well done. The third one is the closest to my heart because so much of what happens in it happened in my life. The high school sweethearts. The decisions about where to go to school - near each other or away. To stay together or break up. Having everyone give you vastly different advice. Not knowing what you want to be when you grow up. Not knowing if you are ready to grow up.

The kids like it just because it has pretty people singing and dancing to catchy songs. But we (and when I say we, I mean Tom and I, seriously), like it because it takes us back to that time a little. And as much as it is a dramatic presentation of what high school life is like, and everything is exaggerated and accompanied by background music, it's pretty darn accurate as far as the basics of the story go. About the inner struggles of being at that point in your life. At least for us it is.

It's funny, because the kids know we were together in high school. Aidan has asked a few times if it was like that for us. And it was, to some degree. Ally is more concerned about knowing whether we sang and danced all the time in high school. Okay, so it wasn't exactly like that. But it was pretty close.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts