Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Alone

Music has a way of reaching into the deepest parts of my soul, and there are times that I swear the radio is connected directly to my heart. I know that the songs on the radio are mostly just randomly chosen by some person. There are the popular ones in heavy rotation, the others requested, yes. But there are others too. The songs that I haven't heard in months or years. The songs that seem as though they are playing just for me. That person who selected them knows nothing about me or my life or my journey yet they choose that exact song at that exact time. It can't just be a coincidence, can it? Once or twice, perhaps. But it has happened far more often than to just chalk it up to chance.

They are my songs. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't claim any ownership to them. Or really any level of sentimentality prior to hearing them at the precise moment they are played for me. But they find me at just the moment I need them.

And last night, it happened again.

At the end of a very long road home, it happened. After days of driving away from where I feel like I should be, that familiar interlude started. And instantly I knew that this was one of my songs. It told me that though my heart is torn and my wish to be in two places at once will never be fulfilled, it is okay. Because the person who I need to be there for knows that I am with him always in my heart and mind, and that I will drop just about anything to be there in person.

You are not alone
For I am here with you
Though you're far away
I am here to stay
You are not alone
I am here with you
Though we're far apart
You're always in my heart
- Michael Jackson, "You Are Not Alone"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts