Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fields

Though I have no idea if I will be able to make it down to San Diego for this trip yet, if I can, there is one place I must stop. There are many things that I miss about California, and one of them is truly something that has to be seen in person to be appreciated. The Flower Fields.

If you've never been there, you simply must go. Here is a link to their website, though the pictures on it do not come anywhere close to doing it justice.

http://www.theflowerfields.com/

The Flower Fields are magnificent, and they are a few weeks from their annual peak. 50 acres of ranunculus flowers, in all different colors. Off the 5 in Carlsbad, you can see it from the freeway. (Sidebar: I just totally almost referred to the 5 as I-5, or the Interstate....have I really become that accustomed to living in Colorado???)

When we lived there, we made sure to go every year. As Aidan got older, we started doing the things he was interested in, like riding the tractor around the fields and running up and down the rows. The last time we went, I was very, very pregnant with Ally. Little did I know that only a few months later, we would leave California for good. It's probably better I didn't though, it would have diminished the joy I felt standing among the flowers.

There really aren't words that can describe the feeling of being surrounded by such beauty. It's best in the afternoon, when the breeze sweeps up from the ocean. If you hike up to the top of the fields, you can gaze upon all the flowers, with the Pacific as a sparkling sapphire backdrop.

I miss those fields. I miss those flowers. I miss California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts