Tuesday, February 9, 2010

sp.

I try, really I do. I try to be patient with people. I try to not notice. I try to not let it bother me. But it does. I know what they mean. I know what they are trying to say. I know that they mean well. And that they probably have no idea of their errors. Still, it drives me crazy.

I think it's partially my fault for having the writer's equivalent of OCD. I write. I go back and read. I re-read. I edit. I post. I go back and re-read. I edit. I kid you not, I have gone back to things I've written months ago and found careless errors. And been disappointed in myself. Why did I not catch that earlier?

How many people have seen my mistake? Gasp. I shudder at the thought.

It's one thing for people to make mistakes when chatting or texting as those forms of communication lend themselves quite easily to imperfection. However, people who write and publish in any form, even if only online, should know better. And when they make blatant errors, it bugs me.

I have a hard time taking people seriously if they can't use the spellcheck feature on their editor adequately. It bothers me if they don't know the difference between their and they're and there. I cringe when I see words used without regard to their actual meaning.

I think it's a bit sad that our society doesn't value the written word as much as it used to. That people don't take the time to evaluate what they present to the world, to do a quick once-over of their communications. The children of today are growing up in a world of sound bytes and instant messaging. Shorter, to the point, abbreviated. And with that comes a sacrifice.

I don't claim to be an expert on intricacies of the English language by any means. I hated grammar. It was my all time least favorite subject. I wasn't very good at it. I still am not. Anyone who reads this knows all too well that I prefer the passive voice. I start sentences with and, but and because. I make many errors in terms of proper grammar. I told you I never was very good at it. However, I like to believe that my posts are easy to read, that they make sense. I hope that you never have to go back and re-read something to figure out what I was trying to say.

Even though my writing is far from ideal, I work pretty hard at it. I take pride in it. I wish more people did. And I really wish more people would use spellcheck. It's there for a reason. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ohh God, you probably have to go back and re-read my posts all the time. I don't know how you do it with four kids. I have trouble with just the two. But, spell check does not catch everything. I once had a prof. in college whose class text was only a photo copy because he could not publish it. It was so poorly written, that I even had trouble reading it without correcting all the errors,and I claim to be the world's worst speller. Anyway, he claimed to be a historian, but none of his facts were backed up with footnotes or even endnotes. His punctuation was deplorable, and I later found out that the book was plagiarized from a compilation of many of his students' work. When this info was brought to the head of the History Dept., they claimed there was nothing they could do, since he technically was part of another dept. He also could not add. He graded my final and forgot to carry the one when adding and when I brought it to his attention that my score should be 10 points higher, he took the paper back to "fix" it. But instead, re-graded it to give me a lower grade. Insane. But that's a topic for another day....crazy professors

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts