Sunday, February 14, 2010

This

Love. Today is the day that we celebrate love. It's not really about the flowers and chocolate and fancy dinners, this day. At least it isn't supposed to be. It shouldn't be. Rather, we should take a tiny step back and breathe in the warmth of the love we have in our lives. To be grateful that we are lucky enough to love and be loved.

I've been with my love for more than half of our lives now. It seems as though he's always been there. Always been around. We grew up together. Became adults together. Formed a life together. All because I love him, and he loves me.

I think you can learn a lot about your relationship from how other people see it. How it looks from the outside. Other people can see things sometimes that we can't. And every so often they share what they see, and it's a beautiful gift.

On the day that we got married, many years ago, I realized that other people looking at our relationship saw something special. It became obvious to me when Paul, the best man, gave his speech. This guy, who Tom had known since they were 6 years old, saw it. At the time, he was happily single, enjoying the freedom and fun of not having anyone he was beholden to. He was not in a hurry to find a serious girlfriend, settle down and get married. Not at all.

But then he gave his speech. And I realized in an instant that he was different. Something happened the morning of our wedding, and he was changed forever. He talked about hearing the birds singing that morning. About being so blissfully happy for his best friend. About the power of love. And about how he has seen it with his own eyes. Some while later that day, I danced with Paul. And all he said to me was this, "I want this. I want what you have."

It came, then, as no surprise to me that within what seemed like seconds (though it was probably more like weeks), he had found his one true love. The first time we met the girl he fell in love with, we knew. She was the one. Andrea. And they have been pretty much inseparable ever since. They've weathered the storms of life, they have moved and started over, they have known triumph and disappointment. But they've done it all together. And, like us, I'm certain that they are more in love today than they were yesterday, but not as much as they will be tomorrow.

Happy Valentine's Day to the love of my life. And to the love ours inspired. Miss you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts