Thursday, February 4, 2010

Little

I love Target. There. I said it. I especially love my Target. About two years ago, they tore down the old one and replaced it with a Super Target. For the few months that I was forced to go to that other major chain store, I would mutter unkind words about Target. But it really wasn't Target I was annoyed with. I was annoyed that I had to go to the other store.

It's not that the customer service at Target is good. Far from it. It seems like most of the employees have never spent any time in the store, and aren't ever any help when you need it. I frequently drag two carts around the store, and no one ever offers to help me out to the car. I'm fine dealing with two carts and 2-4 kids simultaneously, but the offer of help would be nice. I've been blacklisted for returning things. More than once. They changed their return policy a while back, and it's just about as ridiculous as it could possibly get. Do I always keep my receipts? Of course not. Do people always give me receipts with a gift? Of course not. Yet, the powers that be at Target decided that short of having that tiny slip of paper, they will deny almost all returns. Frustrating, yes. But not enough to make me love the place any less.

I love it because I can get just about anything I need to pick up at one place. I don't have to run all over town to get the things I need. This makes me happy. It makes me happy because there are few things in the world more likely to rattle the patience of even the best parent than dragging children from store to store. This week, in addition to the groceries, I got Aidan a pair of jeans off the clearance rack for $3.74. I got a huge case of diapers. I got three jars of the best pasta sauce in the world. I got a birthday gift for Ally's friend. And I got myself something little. More on that later.

I love Target because I have just about figured out their markdown schedule. I know when the clothes go from 30% to 50% to 75% off. I love 75% off. It too makes me happy. Aidan's jeans were on that rack. Most of the kid's pajamas are from that rack. The shoe sales are great too. Last summer I stocked up on flip flops for myself. I got 4 pairs for less than $10. I have picked up all kinds of stuff on the clearance racks there. Good stuff.

Every once in a while, I find something at Target that makes me want to leap with joy. This week was one of those times. I found something that I have been searching for. I've been looking for it for a very long time. And finally, it was there. Sitting quietly on a shelf, waiting for me to discover it and snatch it right up. To put it in my cart and give it a good home. Bright green quick drying nail polish. It doesn't take much to make me happy, I guess. It's the little things. And Target is full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts