Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rope

I think that in this life, there are essentially two kinds of people. I'm not talking about men and women, positive and negative, Type A and B. I'm talking about something else, something entirely different. I think either you are the kind of person who needs to be rescued or you are the one doing the rescuing. Either you are sitting in the water waiting for someone to throw out that rope, or you're the one throwing it. Though there are certainly times that people can switch from one to the other, those are generally brief episodes, triggered by some event of huge significance. And people will revert back to their true personality with time.

I'm not one to be rescued. Never have been. I've spent my entire life being fine. Really. From the time I was a kid, I was the one helping other people get out of the situations they got themselves into. I've broken up fights. I've helped people work through tragedies. And I have even talked a couple out of suicide. When the earthquake happened, I was the first one back in the house. Gary's medicine was in there, and I dug through 4 feet of rubble in the kitchen to get it out. I'm just that person.

It's not to say that there haven't been times that I needed other people. I have. There really are only a few times in my life that I can think of when I truly needed help to get back up and keep going. And as I sit here and reflect on those times, I am realizing that in most of them, I helped myself get right more than anyone else did.

While I don't need others to help me, and I don't rely on them for that help, it is nice to know that there are people willing to offer it. People who truly care and want to help. I've learned, often the hard way, that most people aren't like that. At least not at their core. They may want to be. They may pretend to be. They just aren't. And I don't fault them for it, honestly.

You are who you are. It's a pretty hard thing to deny. So, which are you? Are you throwing that rope, or waiting for it to come?

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you holding the rope and waiting for the next time I have to toss it. But there are times, few but memorable, where I have been the one waiting to catch the lifeline. Not sure which side is better. If I had to guess, it's not bad to know that you can, at any given time, let yourself be the rescuer or the rescued.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts