Sunday, January 10, 2010

First

There are many things that I do that drive me crazy. That I wish I could stop myself from doing. The one that comes to mind this morning is that I judge people. And I judge them far before they have had a fair and ample opportunity to do anything that would justify the judgment.

I have a wickedly accurate sense of intuition about people. I can tell almost instantly from the first moment I meet someone new whether I am going to like them or not. Most people pass the sniff test. And it has never been the case that someone who passed that sniff test became a person I didn't like. Sure, there are times that I might have disagreements with people or question why they do or say something, but there are never the times when I doubt my ability and desire to truly be their friend.

Some people don't even get through the initial screening. They fail the sniff test. There are occasionally people that I just have a sneaking suspicion that I am not going to like at some point. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Not attached to anything they do or say. Just a hunch. Trouble is, at some point, whether it is in days or weeks or months or years, those hunches are right.

I can't even tell you how many times it has happened. It's never been wrong. And even though it hasn't ever failed me, I question it. Every time I get that feeling about someone, I try to dismiss it. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I try to convince myself that my intuition is wrong. That my radar was just a little too sensitive when I first met this person. But eventually, my intuition is proven accurate. Again and again.

And again, just recently, my hunches were dead on. Maybe someday I'll just learn to listen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts