Thursday, November 12, 2009

Unnecessary

So I have this friend. We've been friends for over 15 years now. We've made huge decisions about life only after asking what the other one thinks. We've been in each other's weddings. We've shared things with each other before anyone else knew. And we have a rule, one rule, a rather simple one actually, when it comes to gifts.

They have to be totally unnecessary. No matter if it's birthdays or holidays, we have forbidden each other from buying anything remotely useful. We don't ask what the other one needs, because it's completely irrelevant. We get each other the things we won't buy for ourselves. The things that other people don't get us. Things that serve no purpose, really, other than to just be for us.

I got her Christmas present today. And it holds absolutely no relevance whatsoever. There's no significance to the type I chose, other than I know she will love it. Sure, I've bought her about a million purses in the last few years, but none of them were ever practical "mom" purses. They were always cute, smaller than useful, and just seemed like something she'd like. I got her a bracelet with her son's name on it a while back. And though it's tied, by necessity, to her role as a mother, it has no real use at all. It's just cute. And it's not like he wears it anyway.

Merry Christmas Blythe! I hope that you will enjoy this totally pointless and unnecessary trinket. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts