Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pile

As much as I hate cliches, they really do come about for a reason. Someone once uttered some saying for some valid reason, and it stuck. Because someone else picked up on the phrase, and noticing the same thing, repeated it.

The one that seems to come to mind the most for me this morning is that if you want something done, ask a busy person. Especially after the week I've had, that saying sure rings true in my head. When you combine the facts that I have four children, help with three classrooms, will drop whatever I am doing at the mere suggestion of coffee or lunch with a friend who needs it, and my general inability to say no to helping with just one thing, it adds up to a lot. Because the one thing that someone needs is never really just one thing. And there's almost never just one person that needs it.

But, as the saying goes, ask a busy person. They will find a way to get it done. They will figure out ways to squeeze more things into their day. Between the obligatory minimum of three trips to school and my seemingly weekly trip to the doctor, I've made homemade chocolate chip cookies and homemade pumpkin pie in the last week. I've sorted and distributed case after case of popcorn. I've graded papers for school. And more, and more, and more. It comes with a sacrifice though. My carpet desperately needs to be vacuumed and my bathrooms need cleaned. I just haven't had time this week, because I've been too busy making time for everything else. For everyone else.

Add to all of the things I have to do the reality that I am completely and totally preoccupied with something else. Someone else. And things that are far away from me and that I have no power to change. Yet, the thoughts that endlessly swirl around my head. That make me spend time replaying times in my past, wishing I could go back and relive them. That make me wish that I had not always done things the way that I did. That make me long for another time and place.

I've got a lot on my plate. So if you need anything right about now, feel free to just pile it on. I'll get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts