Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lick

My dear husband got another year older yesterday. It's an inevitable part of life, and not always a pleasant one. But, at least it's one that comes with cake. So, it's not all bad. He knows all too well that he got to pick what I made for dinner and the kind of cake that was made. Considering the amount of plate scraping and spoon licking that occurred yesterday, I'd have to say that they both were enjoyed.

Tom has a short list of things that he will always choose if we are at a restaurant or if he gets to pick what it being made for dinner. Last night, his choice was a predictable one. Chicken parmigiana. He should have been Italian. I've made it for him many times before, but I changed how I cooked it last night and it turned out better than ever before. It's even better than I've ever had at an Italian restaurant.

For his cake, there really was no question. The man loves all that is chocolate. He wanted a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I found a recipe that uses buttermilk, and decided to give it a shot. The frosting was a huge hit, as you can see from the pictures below. Warning: Do not make this cake unless you really, really, really love chocolate.


Happy Birthday honey. I love you.


Chicken Parmigiana
  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • stick of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put butter in 13X9 baking dish, melt in the oven. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Combine dry ingredients in a shallow flat dish. Using tongs, dip chicken in melted butter, then coat with crumb mixture. Place back in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 50 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and let sit for a few minutes before serving.

I serve with cooked pasta and sauce. My personal favorite is the quattro formagio sauce from the Archer Farms brand at Target. I should get money for plugging this sauce as much as I do. It's that good. I add a can of drained finely diced tomatoes to the sauce and heat.

Chocolate Overload Cake

  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (can make it with 1 tbsp vinegar, then add milk to make desired amount, let set for a few minutes to thicken)
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine all ingredients. Mix on low for one minute, then on high for 5 minutes. Pour batter into two 9 inch round, greased and floured pans. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Assemble and frost when cooled.

Spoon-licking chocolate frosting

  • 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk

Melt chocolate chips and shortening together. (Using double boiler or microwave) Do not overheat. Add sugar and milk, stirring until fully combined and fluffy. Use to fill and frost cake. Make sure you leave some in the bowl. Let the spoon fighting begin.

1 comment:

  1. my mom has a killer buttermilk cake recipe. Guaranteed non-sto eating. I should post it....

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts