Thursday, October 15, 2009

Down

Fall seems to have been cut short this year. We've already had snow and the temperature got down to 16 degrees over this past weekend. Temperatures like that happening so early do more than just shock you into winter mode. I found myself frantically dragging out the snow pants and boots last week, far earlier than I had to last year. They shock the trees too.

My trees, my beautiful trees. Colors of amber and burnt sienna and brick red. Gone. Over the course of the last few days, many of the trees around here dropped all their leaves. Not because it was time. Not because the transformation was complete. Not even because of a huge windstorm as has happened before. They dropped the leaves because it got too cold too fast too early.

Between myself and the kids, someone has been sick for almost a month. And we haven't been able to make the annual trip up to the mountains. I haven't taken those pictures I look forward to every year. We've been stuck here in the house. Most of my excursions into the world lately have been for soup and medicine. Fall was short this year, and I missed it.

Oh well, there's always next year.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    I just found your blog.
    I love reading about the family.
    I empathize with the early winter we are having our first Norester of the year in October!
    Tell Tom hello.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts